N.A.I. 2002
Hosted by the IPBA – Gulf of Georgia, and the Burrard Yacht Club in conjunction with
the Royal Vancouver Yacht Club facilities at Jericho, British Columbia, Canada.
Written by John Willister – SCCA, NACA, HYC
Edited by Lena Cutler – Cruiser Nav Chairperson of Shoreline Yacht Club of Long Beach, CA
From the perspective of the Southern California Cruiser Association (SCCA) contestant,
Brian Cutler, and his crew consisting of Lena Cutler, Jo Chiles, Tom and Suzie Scott, Jerry
Barrus, and John Willister:
Wednesday, July 31, 2002
6:30 PM
Brian Cutler called his operating crew together at Tom Scott's house for a planning session to
finalize courses and distances and to try to get some idea of what the BIG currents were going to do on
race day. As there is only one location (on the course) where the Canadian Hydrographic Office prints
tidal current predictions, we are left with not a lot to go on except for the first and last legs of the race.
For our approximate start time on Saturday, the 10th, we can expect a maximum of 5.0 knots (that's five)
under the Lions Gate Bridge on leg one. On the last leg to the finish, the predictions are for a little over
1.0 knot. NO other predictions are available for any other portion of the course.
Thursday, August 1, 2002
Tom and Suzie Scott left their house in Southern California by car allowing time to visit friends
along the way to Vancouver in central California, Oregon, and Washington.
Sunday, August 4, 2002
John Willister left home Sunday morning by car so as to arrive early on Wednesday at the hotel in
Vancouver and then be able to observe currents at locations around the Lions Gate Bridge. A
comparison between observed current on Wednesday with predicted current might (???) be of some help.
Wednesday, August 7, 2002
(late morning)
John Willister has been out with binoculars and tidal current tables under the Lions Gate Bridge
and while walking down the steep path heard some voices that were saying; "We are going to get set
sideways on the way to Check Point 2." It seems another N.A.I. crew from out of town was doing the
same thing.
Brian and Lena Cutler, Jerry Barrus, and Jo Chiles all flew First Class into Vancouver, and
arrived at the hotel via stretch limousine at about 1100. Now the entire crew is assembled for the N.A.I.
registration at the hotel in downtown Vancouver and the boat drawing tonight at the Burrard Yacht
All the streets in this section of town will be closed off tonight as the city will be having a big
fireworks display right off of the beach a few blocks from our hotel. The concierge at the hotel says there
should be about three-hundred-fifty-thousand people lined up along the beaches a few blocks from our
hotel and across the Burrard Inlet watching the show.
Wednesday, August 7, 2002
(later in the evening)
At 1700 our group left the hotel in two cars for the Burrard Yacht Club across the Lions Gate
Bridge where the boat drawing will be held. The drawing and outstanding cocktail party was held out on
the Burrard Yacht Club docks in a beautiful and picturesque setting on a large float at the end of the
docks with the skyline of Vancouver visible across Burrard Inlet.
The introductions were done by Patrick Frampton of the IPBA – Gulf of Georgia. He introduced
the guest participants; Peter and Judy Farrell and Ron and Faye Davenport of the "South of Perth Yacht
Club" from Western Australia. For them, this will be a new type of Predicted Log Racing so they will
participate on "Eboness" owned by Patrick Frampton.
Our SCCA contestant, Brian Cutler, drew a 40' single diesel, full displacement vessel (similar to a
Californian type trawler) owned by Chuck and Connie Silvernail named "SolMar." The Observer
assigned to us was Sandi Lindsay with Lena Cutler to be the Scrutinizer. This boat is ideal for this type of
Log Race as the sport is a three-part equation of time, speed, and distance and "SolMar" should provide
an extremely solid platform to maintain a stable speed for this contest. It is now up to Brian Cutler and
his crew; no excuses for less than an excellent score with this boat.
After the drawing, all of us came back to the hotel; which took some meandering and several
permissions from the local police to cross barricades in the streets of Vancouver getting ready for crowd
control during the fireworks. Our group (including Bill and Nancy Findley, NACA Secretary/Treasurer)
regrouped in the hotel room of Brian and Lena Cutler, which had a beautiful view of the fireworks area
of the harbor and the milling mass of humanity below in the streets.
The fireworks display was just spectacular; better by far than our usual display in Long Beach
behind the Queen Mary. These Canadians really know how to put on a show.
After enjoying an evening of pizza and wine and watching the fireworks, we all retired for the
night. We will be up early tomorrow casting lines away from the Burrard Yacht Club docks at 0730 and
head out to the Measured Mile course off of Jericho to the southwest of the Lions Gate Bridge.
Thursday, August 8, 2002
(early morning)
A beautiful morning with the sun just coming up over the mountains to the east. Our crew is
assembling in the hotel lobby to go over to the Burrard Yacht Club and on to the Measured Mile course.
By 0730 we are aboard "SolMar" and outbound to the Measured Mile course. After several runs
back and forth and timed 180° turns, we are done and back at the dock by 1230. The temperature has
warmed up to the low eighties and it is absolutely beautiful with hardly any wind whatsoever. The skyline
of Vancouver is crystalline and all in all it is a beautiful day.
Back at the hotel our crew goes to a local restaurant for lunch and some of us had to sample the
local adult beverage called "Killer Whale Ale." Good stuff; one cannot drink Coors or Bud in Canada.
This "Killer Whale Ale" is definitely industrial strength and we all welcome a short nap before departing
for the Skippers' meeting at Burrard Yacht Club scheduled for 1600 to 1700.
Thursday, August 8, 2002
(later in the evening)
The Skippers' Meeting and Observers' and Scrutizners' Meeting both went as scheduled with all
last minute questions and answers as to the conduct of the contest answered. All Logs are to be turned in
between 0700 to 0800 on Saturday morning at the Burrard Yacht Club before the contestants take to the
race course.
After the meetings, some of the guests stayed for a barbeque at the Burrard Yacht Club while
some of us ventured out for a taste of the local cuisine.
Our SCCA group went to the Ciao Bela Italian restaurant in downtown Vancouver that had a lot
of local flavor with excellent food. Brian Cutler toasted our team and presented us with team shirts he
designed himself. After the dinner as we were walking back to the hotel, our helm/throttle crewmember,
Jerry Barrus, had to stop at the "Death by Chocolate" sweet shop. Now he (and all of us) are fortified
with the necessary chocolate fix to carry us through the race planning tomorrow.
Friday, August 9, 2002
(early morning)
Up early to meet for breakfast and then get started on the serious race planning. Lena Cutler,
Suzie Scott, and Jo Chiles will be touring the city while Brian Cutler, Tom Scott, Jerry Barrus, and John
Willister start serious number crunching for the race tomorrow.
After breakfast, we assemble by 1000 and start comparing notes. By about 1500, we are finished
and Brian Cutler is filling out all the Log forms with our many, many, many numbers. Now it is time for
a nap and some more "Killer Whale Ale" during dinner. Tomorrow we go out and win this thing for the
Friday, August 9, 2002
(later in the evening)
Part of our SCCA crew assembles and drives to Stanley Park for a look at the water under the
Lions Gate Bridge from above. The visibility is clear to the horizon so we then proceed to the "Cloud 9"
bar and restaurant in downtown Vancouver that is on the 42nd floor of a skyscraper in a rotating
rotunda. The lounge takes a full one hour and twenty minutes to make a complete rotation so we each
enjoy a couple of cocktails while watching the entire city of Vancouve r and environs rotate below us. On
a clear day like this, it is a spectacular view all around. After an enjoyable couple of hours, we are off to a
Japanese restaurant for dinner. If is Friday night and a beautiful warm summer one at that, so the streets
of Vancouver are packed with a milling mass of tourists and locals alike. Most of the restaurants have
outdoor seating and this is an ideal evening for sidewalk dining.
After dinner we are back at the hotel and coordinating our rendezvous time for tomorrow
morning before proceeding to the Burrard Yacht Club and the Log check-in.
Saturday, August 10, 2002
(early morning)
Up early to another bright and clear morning sunrise. All our gear is assembled and we are
chomping at the bit and ready to go out on the course and win this one for the SCCA.
Saturday, August 10, 2002
(late afternoon)
The race is over and it was certainly different. The "Start" in the protected waters of Burrard
Inlet quickly turned into a lumpy ride once past the Lions Gate Bridge. The lumps and bumps continued
until well past Check Point 2 at Pt. Atkinson. So lumpy, in fact, that one of the vessels crewed by the
Chicago contingent had to abort due to some damage to the vessel. The rest of us pressed on in the calmer
waters around the course trying our best to figure out what the currents and/or wind were doing to our
vessels. Back out in the open waters past Pt. Atkinson again on the return course, the lumps resumed
only now we were down-swell so only some minor wallowing and rolling occurred. Back under the Lions
Gate Bridge at the last of the ebb so it was now a cakewalk to the "Finish." Once back at the Burrard
Yacht Club docks, we all got to reminisce about how rough it was. The stories grew by the moment. Mel
Lurie of SMBPF fleet was heard saying; "Well, I made it back." Dr. Paul Pettit of SDCA said; "The
worst seas I have ever been in."
Except for the lumpy water at the "Start," it was a beautiful day with clear skies, warm
temperatures, and beautiful scenery all around us througho ut the course. This is truly one of the most
beautiful places in the world to have a water-oriented event.
Now it is time to adjourn to the Awards Dinner at the Royal Vancouver Yacht Club facility in
Jericho, which is out of the main part of the city and southwest of the Lions Gate Bridge across the outer
Burrard Inlet.
Saturday, August 10, 2002
(late at night)
The N.A.I. 2002 is history; and what an enjoyable event it was. The "Peel-Off" was conducted in
two parts with the first four legs, commentary, introductions, and other awards before the final three legs
of the scoring. When it was all said and done, Dr. Paul Pettit of the SDCA, aboard the vessel "Suzy Q,"
with the able aid of his co-navigators, Bill Doherty and Rupert Hansen, won the First Place position with
a score of .9693%. A great score considering the seas encountered during the first two legs of the contest.
Second Place went to Bev Pillsworth of the IPBA – Gulf of Georgia, aboard the vessel "Wayward
Sun," with a score of 1.0529%.
Third Place went our own SCCA contestant, Brain Cutler, aboard the vessel "SolMar," with a
final score of 1.2883%.
The Gandelman Award for many years of service and effort on behalf of the entire NACA
organization went to Clem Hartley of the PLRANC.
Our pe rsonal thanks from the SCCA team captained by Brian Cutler goes to the Burrard Yacht
Club, the IPBA – Gulf of Georgia, and all their personnel for hosting the entire event. The use of the
Royal Vancouver Yacht Club facilities at Jericho, B.C., made for a wonderful setting for the Awards
Dinner and "Peel-Off" ceremony. Especially noteworthy was the entrance of the "Head Table" in the
dining area, which was to be occupied by the Officers of the NACA Bridge. The procession was led into
the area preceded by a kilted bagpipe player. Definitely a "First Class" ceremony.
A final note of thanks to Patrick Frampton of the IPBA – Gulf of Georgia, for all his efforts in
leading the entire organization of the event. Good show, Patrick; a job well done.